Tips for Healthy Summer Snacking From a Children’s Dentist in Tulsa
As a children’s dentist in Tulsa, we help our young patients to stay in excellent oral health. Typically, we want to see your child twice a year so that we can remove any plaque or tartar that has built up on their teeth. This will help to decrease their chances of getting cavities. During these appointments, we will also discuss with your child the importance of oral hygiene and show them how to brush and floss their teeth correctly. We know that by taking care of their teeth at home and having them cleaned regularly, they are more likely to remain in good oral health.
The other aspect to this is healthy eating. If your child eats foods that are high in sugar or starch, there risk for getting cavities will be increased. Simultaneously, if they eat food that is too acidic, they could suffer cavities or erosion. This summer, you can take the opportunity to teach your kids good eating habits so that their teeth can remain strong now and throughout their life. Here are some suggestions for you –
- Buy dairy products. As a children’s dentist in Tulsa, we know that cheese, yogurt, milk, and cottage cheese are all good for your child’s bones and teeth. When they increase their calcium content, their teeth will be stronger and less likely to break. You can purchase single servings of cheese and no-sugar-added yogurt to keep in the fridge so that they can grab a snack any time that they are hungry.
- Vegetables. This is an excellent time of year to introduce your children to cool, crunchy veggies. Buy cucumber, carrots, and broccoli to keep in the fridge. You can slice it up at the beginning of the day, and they can grab and snack whenever they want. While some children are opposed to veggies, eating them with ranch can make for a tasty treat.
- Watermelon. You can purchase a watermelon, cut it up, and keep it in the fridge for several days. Your children can grab several pieces in between playing games for a treat that will help them to remain cool this summer. Add it to your evening barbecue for a side dish that everyone will love.
- Nuts. As a children’s dentist, we want your family to eat foods that will help to remineralize and strengthen the teeth. Nuts are an excellent solution just be sure to avoid bags of trail mix since they can contain chocolate.
- Smoothies. Both kids and adults look for ways to cool off in the summer and eating ice cream is fairly normal. The only problem is that ice cream is high in sugar. We suggest that you make smoothies instead. Using your favorite fruits, veggies, and yogurt, you can create a cool treat that tastes great and is low in sugar.
In our children’s dentist in Tulsa, we can help you and your kids to have healthy teeth for a lifetime. We suggest that you visit our office this summer, brush and floss their teeth twice a day and eat healthy snacks to help them create a good routine.